What is Milk Thistle
Milk thistle, scientifically known as Silybum Marianum L. as also named as blessed milk thistle, best milk thistle, Mediterranean milk thistle, Marian thistle, Scotch thistle, Saint Mary’s thistle, Cardus Marianas, mary thistle. This common thistle's flowers are reddish to purple, and the leaves are a glossy light green with white stripes. It is now present all over the globe, having originated in Southern Europe and spreading to Asia.
Milk thistle, Silybum Marianum L., belongs to the Asteraceae family of dicotyledonous herbs is significant in the medical industry. Milk thistle is a Mediterranean plant that has been cultivated in Europe for decades. It develops in South Asia, China, Eastern Europe, and Australia, among other places.
Milk thistle produces silymarin, a phenolic flavonoid combination considered to be accountable for the plant's antihyperglycemic properties. Silybum plants have several agricultural issues that reduce total production and silymarin content. Given the difficulty in its morphological characteristics, such as a heavy thorny stalk, spiked leaves, and flowers tipped with rigid spines, herbicide therapy causes toxins to contaminate the fruits (seeds). The productivity of seed germination and seedling development is poor and heavily reliant on numerous biological and ecological influences. Reproduction studies for this plant are pretty small.
Milk thistle is an upright herb with a conical form that can grow to be 30 to 200 cm (12 to 79 in) long. The overall diameter of the foundation is 160 cm (63 in). The stem is looped and could have a thin cottony fuzz covering. The branches of the most significant specimens are hollow.
Like other thistles, the leaves are curved to lanceolate, 15–60 cm long, and pinnately lobed with spiny edges. They are clean-shaven and have milk-white veins against a shiny green background. The flowers are red-purple and 4 to 12 cm long, and high. They bloom in the northern hemisphere from June to August and in the southern hemisphere from December to February (summer through autumn). Hairless bracts surround the flower head with triangular, spine-edged appendages and a stout yellow spine at the top. A plain long white pappus is enclosed by a yellow basal ring on the black achenes. A long pappus serves as a "parachute," allowing seeds to be dispersed by the breeze.
How can we use it?
Before consuming milk thistle, it is important to consult your doctor to be safe from its adverse effect. Moreover, it will not interfere with the activity of the already taken medication. We can use it in various ways as given below,
- Milk thistle can be used as a herb in making many medicines such as milk thistle tablet, milk thistle effervescent, Barberol tablet, Iberogast drops, etc.
- It can be used as natural herbs.
- It can a suitable or healthy food source for vegans and vegetarians.
- In combination with sugar and sweetener, it can add up food flavors. Best milk thistle can be used as a food supplement.
- Most peoples prefer to eat its stem and leaves in salads.
- In various markets, drug stores, or utility stores, it is available as oral tinctures, tea bags, milk thistle tablets, and milk thistle effervescent capsules.
Firstly, please consult your doctor before using it. The most preferred amount of it started from 140mg. You can take such an amount of it three times a day.
Up to 1000mg of milk thistle or milk, thistle table can be consumed by a person but not only in one day.
210mg of milk thistle extract can be taken for almost 2-3 months.
Its dose also depends upon the reason for using it.
Due to the presence of nitrate, it can be toxic for sheep and cattle if consumed. Nitrogen ion can combine with hemoglobin and produces methemoglobin, leading to lack of oxygen availability, also called oxygen deprivation. Milk thistle tablet or milk thistle effervescent contains a higher amount of mycotoxin. Consumption of it can cause toxicity in humans.
Milk Thistle Capsule or Milk Thistle tablets is made by using milk thistle as the main ingredient. It is commonly called a milk thistle effervescent tablet or milk thistle tablet. Historically, milk thistle effervescent herbal products have been used to help the liver, aid metabolism, and reduce alcohol consumption. The key active ingredient in milk thistle tablets is silymarin, which has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects. The main benefits of it include.
- Milk thistle effervescent has a great influence on the liver. It can maintain liver condition by protecting it against many diseases, including chronic hepatitis and cirrhosis, caused by excessive alcohol or drug consumption.
- It can also fight for protecting the liver of that person who gets in regular contact with toxins of the industry, including xylene and toluene.
- Best milk thistle also provides a combined benefit. A great improvement in type 2 diabetic patient occurs because it decreases cholesterol level and lower blood sugar level.
- The use of the best milk thistle notes a great improvement in insulin resistance.
- LDL Cholesterol is lowered by using a milk thistle tablet, so it can also add up in preventing the occurrence of various heart-related diseases.
- Milk thistle tablet can be consumed with the medication of lowering cholesterol level as it has the same beneficial effect.
- It has antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, the antiseptic property thus adds up the human immune system.
The most common side effects of using milk thistle tablet or herb are as follow,
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- Gas in stomach
Other uncommon effects of its continuous use include,
- Joint pain
- Sexual dysfunction
- Muscles aches
The person who is allergic to artichokes, ragweed, daisies, kiwi must avoid milk thistle tablets.
Milk thistle use can also cause a full-body allergy named anaphylaxis.
- Women who are conceiving a child or while breastfeeding duration must avoid using a milk thistle tablet.
- The allergic patient must avoid its use
- In the condition of facing any cancer, a person should not consume milk thistle effervescent tablets. Milk thistles extract mostly behaves as estrogen, which can lead to very serious worst conditions.
- The person having diabetes must consult his\her doctor before using it as it is beneficial for type 2 diabetes, not others.