ZMA capsules have zinc, magnesium aspartate and vitamin B6 in different proportions. However, some manufacturers may also add more minerals and vitamins to increase their effectiveness.
All the components of a ZMA supplement are involved in various body functions; thus, they help in improving health in different ways. In this article, we have described the main health benefits of ZMA capsules to help you identify why you should take them.
Health benefits of ZMA
May strengthen your immune system
Your immune system protects your body from diseases and infections by killing the microbes and similar agents. Certain minerals like magnesium and zinc that are present in ZMA capsules have been found to strengthen the immune system.
Zinc does it by increasing the production of immune cells and helping them perform different tasks. Its deficiency can cause immune system impairment and a reduction in wound healing.  Similarly, magnesium also boosts the immune system by regulating different processes. Its deficiency is linked to the development of chronic inflammation. 
Vitamin B6 is also important for a strong immune system. It protects the body from infections by increasing the number of white blood cells.  It shows that taking these components through a ZMA supplement can help you fortify your immune system.
May improve sleep
Quality sleep is crucial for a healthy mind and body. Many factors such as magnesium or zinc deficiency can influence sleep quality and affect your health negatively. Therefore, make sure you get these minerals through diet or ZMA tablets.
Research suggests that your parasympathetic nervous system is activated by magnesium. This activation slows down body processes and helps you relax.  Similarly, some studies show that taking zinc supplements improves sleep quality in both animal and human, 
May increase your overall athletic performance
ZMA tablets are very famous for their ability to enhance athletic performance. Their effectiveness is more prominent in people deficient in zinc and magnesium. People deficient in either of these components notice a reduction in their insulin-like growth factor and testosterone hormones. Both hormones are involved in the production and performance of muscle cells. 
Many athletes have low levels of magnesium and zinc. This is because they follow a strict diet plan which mostly lacks magnesium and zinc. Therefore, taking these minerals through ZMA tablets can help them boost mineral levels as well as their overall performance.
May help with the weight loss
Obesity or excessive weight gain can cause conditions like heart diseases, diabetes, etc. That is why maintaining a healthy weight is very important. Studies show that people who took 30 mg of zinc for a certain period of time noticed a great reduction in their weight. It is believed zinc does it by reducing appetite. 
Vitamin B6 and magnesium are also involved in weight management. They have been found to help women with premenstrual syndrome reduce symptoms like water retention and bloating.  So, taking ZMA tablets may help you reduce hunger and lose weight.
May control blood sugar level
Diabetic people have more blood sugar levels than healthy people. Reducing it to a healthy level is important to prevent internal damage. Therefore, they take different supplements and manage their diet.
Studies prove that zinc supplements show somewhat similar effects as the anti-diabetic drugs in managing blood sugar.  Magnesium is also effective in enhancing the body’s ability to sense insulin (a hormone that takes sugar from the blood to the cells). 
Therefore, if you take magnesium and zinc via a ZMA supplement, you may notice an improvement in your sugar levels. It is best to consult your doctor before taking this supplement.
May boost mood
Two of the main components of ZMA capsules, magnesium and vitamin B6, are involved in elevating mood by reducing symptoms of depression. A 12 weeks study concluded that taking magnesium every day can reduce depression symptoms significantly, and it claimed that its effects were similar to the effects of antidepressant supplements. 
Many studies also show that vitamin B6 deficiency can cause depression.  So, enhancing vitamin B6 and magnesium levels through ZMA tablets may be an effective way of elevating mood and reducing depression.
What are the side effects of ZMA capsules?
ZMA capsules are generally considered safe and have no reported side effects. However, it is important to know that excess of anything is bad. So, if you take zinc, magnesium, and vitamin B6 in excess amounts via these tablets, then you may experience health issues like stomach cramps, diarrhoea, nausea, headache, and numbness of hands. Thus, it is better to consult your doctor to find the right dose before taking any ZMA supplement.
ZMA capsules have many health benefits like increasing testosterone production, improving sleep, boosting immune function, and managing blood sugar levels. However, taking these supplements in moderation is very important to prevent their side effects. It is best to get your doctor’s advice before making ZMA tablets a part of your diet regimen.
- Zinc in Wound Healing Modulation - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Possible roles of magnesium on the immune system - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Vitamin B6 supplementation increases immune responses in critically ill patients - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Benzodiazepine/GABA(A) receptors are involved in magnesium-induced anxiolytic-like behavior in mice - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Associations between Blood Zinc Concentrations and Sleep Quality in Childhood: A Cohort Study - PubMed (nih.gov)
- ISSN exercise & sports nutrition review update: research & recommendations - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Effects of zinc supplementation on the anthropometric measurements, lipid profiles and fasting blood glucose in the healthy obese adults - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Magnesium supplementation alleviates premenstrual symptoms of fluid retention - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Effect of intensive blood-glucose control with metformin on complications in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 34). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Effect of magnesium supplementation on insulin resistance in humans: A systematic review - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Efficacy and safety of oral magnesium supplementation in the treatment of depression in the elderly with type 2 diabetes: a randomized, equivalent trial - PubMed (nih.gov)
- Vitamins B12, B6, and folic acid for onset of depressive symptoms in older men: results from a 2-year placebo-controlled randomized trial - PubMed (nih.gov)